Sunday, April 1, 2012

Closet ReDo . . .

My husband is amazing. Sometimes. Well, a lot of the time, when he has the time. I think you get the point.

I love to dream up little projects that I truly believe will make our lives easier, by being more efficient and organized.  My husband just sighs . . .

"Organization" is trigger word for him in our humble abode . . . You see, I am one of those Re-organizers . . . I'll try one system, it works a few months, then doesn't, so I move on to another system.

His opinion is make the system work - My opinion is find something else. Anyway.

When I broke the news to him that I wanted to completely re-do our hall closet, he sighed his what-has-she-come-up-with-now sigh. 

"Why? What could possibly be wrong with the hall closet?"

I said, "Have you looked inside it lately?" You see, he is a drop-the-jacket-at-the-door kind of person.  His response was something along the lines of "humph . . ."

Our hall closet was a builder's special - a large space, being 29" deep and 59" wide - but with only one cheap wire shelf along the back wall, were could not utilize all the potential space. 

I needed the closet to be for our coats and gear, as well as all of our dish towels and table linens. I had previously attempted this by putting in a few plastic and wire shelves along the back and sides, but that didn't work either.

Time for a total re-do, and I knew exactly what I wanted. I was going to use the sides of the closet - not the back. My idea would mean the closet would change from reach-in to walk-in status, and who doesn't like a walk-in closet?!?

Hubby said, "Show me a plan." I flipped open my notebook where I had been scribbling and drawing ideas for a few months. I think he was impressed.

My original plan was to build shelving using 1 x 10 boards, or even 3/4" plywood, go up each side, add a closet bar on each side, put shelves above . . . but that's not how it turned out - it is even better . . .

TA DA!!!!

We found the shelves at IKEA - they were $4 each - and the brackets were also IKEA at $0.50 each - yes, 50 cents each. 

I really like these shelves because not only did they fit perfectly, but they are covered with a formica-type surface, so none of my things will snag. 

Closet bars and brackets came from the local hardware store, and I ordered a motion-sensor, LED light from Amazon (here) which works phenomenally well. The light comes on as soon as you step in, stays on long enough to hang up our stuff, then turns off by itself a few moments later. It works so well, in fact, that I've ordered another one for our pantry, and am considering ordering more for other spaces in our house that could use some more light.

We decided to change the original plan and put shelving up one side, and two hanging closet bars opposite, with one being lower, so . . . wait for it . . . the kids can hang up their own jackets! A huge feat for two kids under 6! 



Total cost - about $80 . . .

Total time spent - about 3 hours, not including emptying everything out, which took another 2 hours . . .
Total value - the return of a bit of my sanity . . . no more picking up everyone's coats lying by the door . . . no more yelling, "Mom, where's my hat?"   No more nothing.   Just peace and tranquility. Ahhhh.

NOTE: After having lived with the closet for a few weeks, I am going to add some hooks on the back wall for the kids to hang their backpacks and lunch boxes, and for me to hang my purse. Other than that, this is one of the best home improvement jobs we have ever done!


I actually smile every time I open the door - every time - really. And I have thanked my man countless times, usually after I open that door . . . big hugs and kisses. 

The neighbors came over for bunco last week . . . they ooohed and aaahed as well - this may spell some home improvement for many husbands in our neighborhood over the next few months. 

Now, onto the next project . . . I wonder which space needs a re-do?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment